Chapter 28

“Okay class. We’ve done a great deal of studying over these 2 weeks and I’m very proud of you,” Mrs. Lindsay starts. 

I start to chew on my fingernails. 

“Remember, this is an overall test. Just to see where you’re at and the classes that would be appropriate for you over the next couple of years. Eyes on your own paper, and just raise your hand when you are finished. You may start!” 

My eyes fall upon the paper. A thought in my head keeps pulling me, telling me I haven’t studied enough. But then I think.. 

How?

I turn around and see Lily, seeing a very relaxed expression on her face. It makes me even more worried. 

“Kateri. Eyes on your own paper please.”

I whip around and feel my face grow hot. 

Great. Not even 5 minutes in and I’m uncomfortable. 

Just, focus. 

40 minutes later, I’ve completed all the pages I needed to complete for today. I breathe a sigh of relief. None of it was very hard, just a couple of questions. Why was it so hard to stay focused during a test?

I wasn’t amazing, but I did the best I could. 

At lunch, we’re all talking about our classes when Amber brings up the test. 

“How was it for you guys?” She asks. 

“It was okay. I hate the word problems though,” Maria said. 

“Me too. I guess it was fine. Do you guys think I study too much, though?” I ask.

With my question, all of them burst out laughing. 

“What?” I ask. 

Lily puts a hand on my shoulder. “You’re a really great student Kat. But one thing you gotta work on is chillaxing.”

I huff, “I cannot ‘chillax’!” And then I laugh. Maybe she’s right. 

While they laugh, I look around the cafeteria and rest my eyes on Alex’s table. He was sitting with his other friends, all laughing and looking goofy. I was so caught up in studying, I didn’t even make time for other things I love. Like playing guitar. And hanging out with my friends.

His eyes catch mine, and we smile at each other for a second. 

The second day of the test was actually harder than the first one. I also practically felt Mrs. Lindsay’s eyes staring into my soul as I was scratching answers down on the paper. 

What if I did terrible on the first test? 

Okay you really need to shut up.

I think about what Lily said the day before. Do I worry too much? 

Not time for those thoughts now, Kat. Think math. 

And so I did. 

“How’d it go?” Aunt Cynthia asks me after I come home from school. 

“It actually was a little harder,” I grab an apple from the fruit bowl and sit on the couch. 

It was true, the tests were hard. But I got through it, and I hadn’t realised how much of a weight was off my shoulders after it was done. 

“But you did it. And I’m very proud,” Aunt Cynthia sits next to me, and I lean on her. 

A sigh of relief escapes me, “thanks.”

“When do you think you’re getting the marks back?” She asks me. 

“Um..” I haven’t really thought about that. Like, at all. “Not sure. Soon, I hope.” 

“Okay,” she stares off into the distance for a little, “what are you going to do now?”

I roll my eyes, “is that a trick question?”

She bumps my shoulder, “no.”

“I guess studying, playing guitar, going to school, Lily’s house… Oh! The talent shows are also coming up soon.”

“Right! Are you planning on performing guitar?”

“Uhh,” C’mon Kateri. Say what you mean. “No, I don’t think so.”