I thought it would be fun to do another one of these ‘Q&A’s today because school is upcoming in September!!

Hi everyone!

Today we’re going to… yup. You guessed it: answer a School Q&A!! I’ve done many other Q&A’s and so has my friend Alivia has. These are from the New York Times website with prompts for students. I think it’s super fun to answer these prompts because they’re entertaining and fun!! Let’s get to this School Q&A!

School Q&A

Should the school day start later?
I feel like it’s healthy for kids like myself to learn how to get up early (especially teenagers lol) and go to school!! For me, it’s quite refreshing to get up early because that means more of my day is ahead of me, plus I love the fresh morning air. But I have been to camp and had to wake up at 6 am in the morning so I kind of get it why I like it so much.

Would a late school start time increase student success?
I’m not sure. Depending on the person, really. If you’re someone who LOVES to sleep in because you where up ‘very late’ last night, then I guess you would be more tired in the morning, witch leads to not focusing.. and so on. If you’re a person like me, (a true early bird) then I guess that it would be no problem having it later or sooner.
BUT (yes, there is a but.) I know in different parts of the world school starts later or earlier or whatever. But I really like my school start and end because it fits for me. In grades 4, 5 and 6 the time was 9:15 to 3:45. I think it’s a pretty good time to start school: 9:15. I do know a lot of kids from different school’s that start school earlier, so, I’m not complaining.

Is your school day too short?
Personally, it really depends on what day it is. If it’s like a… pajama day than I definitely want the hours to be longer.
But overall, I think 6 and a half hours is pretty good for one day. I don’t know, I really like school. I think it’s fun. It might be a bit too long for kindergartens, though. I wouldn’t know anyway because things where a bit different when I was in kindergarten. That year, we only went for only like, 3 hours.

Should schools cancel summer vacation?
You want the tween answer??
NO!!
You want the more detailed answer: well, I think they shouldn’t because everyone needs a break. School is hard for kids my age and under, it can be tough. Actually, for all grades it’s tough. Summer vacation is sort of a little break for those kids because people still need to remember to have fun and enjoy their lives a bit, too. So in the end, I feel like summer vacation is important for everyone.

Do you think a longer school calendar is a good idea?
Personally… um, I think it’s pretty good. 10 months = 1 year.
๐Ÿ˜†

So the point answer is, no, I don’t think it’s a good idea. Summer is perfect: 2 months. I’m totally okay with that. I know kids my age are like:
“Why, WHY is summer only 2 months??”
And I’m like:
“Why, WHY is school only 10 months??”
๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
Just kidding, 10 months is not so bad. Plus I think 2 months is a pretty decent time for summer.

Should the dropout age be raised?
I’m not really sure, it’s not really a question for me. I haven’t been to high school yet. Plus, I don’t know anyone who’s a ‘dropout’.

Should kids be sent to collage early?
Probably not. My dad’s a principal and one thing that I’ve learned about high school kids is that some of them are: stupid. So I think that collage is probably something that kids shouldn’t go to early. Plus extra school is fun!! Well, at least I think so.

Do you like school?
If you’ve read my blog and these questions, than you know that I like LOVE school. I think it’s so fun, learning new things and hanging out with friends. The teachers in my school are so kind and some of them will be memories of my life forever. The people and events are also amazing, and going to school every day just makes me happy.
But, let me get this straight and don’t get me wrong: school is also frustrating and hard. Math is so hard for me sometimes. Sometimes I don’t want to go to school, I don’t want to see these people sometimes. Sometimes we have bad days and just…ย don’t want to go to school.ย Is that just me?

Are you stressed about school?
Sometimes. School isn’t all ‘fun and games’. Math has always been hard for me, I just don’t get some of it!! But I have a couple friends who are really math whizzes. Watching them do Math is amazing!!
But it’s not only math, sometimes it’s other things, too. Like every year the joiners need to write a 3 – 5 minute speech and present it. Sometimes that’s hard. Sometimes it’s hard to just get up in the morning and go to school. Am I right??
So in some cases, yes. It is stressful. But it’s not something I’d be stressed about every day.

Are high school students being worked too hard?
I have no idea! Literally no idea. I mean, everyone needs to work hard to get to success, I believe that. For now, I think high school is okay. What do you think?

What are you really learning at school?
Well, depends what grade I am, of course. And, there obviously is a curriculum. You want the most common subjects? The subjects I learn are: math, science, social studies, French, language, art, gym drama…. and, yeah. Those are the most common ones. I like all of them a lot!! Except math, of course. My favourite it probably French, art and language. Also drama sometimes.

What are you looking forward to, or dreading, this school year?
Let’s start with the things I’m looking forward to:
Well first of all, I’m looking forward to just being with my friends again because I’m so used to seeing them every single day!! I miss a bunch of them a lot. And I think about that a lot, too. I’m also looking forward to the fun themed weeks in like Spirit Week, The Big Crunch, The Big Gulp, Speech Competitions. I’m looking forward to going to Art Class again, speaking French more, being back in the city…
You get it.
What are some things I’m dreading?
I’m not sure!! Probably going to have to leave the country here at the cottage. I love the country. Also math.. You know I’m dreading to do math. But there’s nothing I can do about it! There are things I won’t like about life and that’s okay.
Oh! I know what I’m dreading. I think I’m dreading to wear masks at school. Ack. That’s going to suck. We also might not have gym as often… I honestly have no literal idea. We’ll see how it goes!

Would you rather attend a public or private high school?
Ahh.. Well I am going to a Catholic school, so I don’t really know much about ‘public schools’. But I do know quite a bit about private schools. My choice would probably be a public school. Private schools cost money and if all my sisters where to go there, that would be very expensive!! Plus I feel like the people would be more open-minded at a public school only because it’s not only for ‘rich’ people. You know what I mean.

How much does it matter you you witch high school you attend?
It matters a lot to me, because the high school I want to go to is an arts school, although I’m not sure yet. It’s means a lot to me because art is a big part of my life and I would really want some kind of career with art with it. Plus the high school I want to go to has awesome students and teachers, and is a great school community, just like the school I go to right now. (I know this because my dad was a teacher there when I was little.)

Are small schools more effective than large schools?
Depends on the school community. If you have a great community with great people and great teachers, then, yes, it could be more effective. But effective how? Effective in learning? In that case, yeah, it really depends. My school is very small and I believe the teaching there is amazing. Even if there are only 350 kids in it.

Would you like to go to a school like this one?
Yes. Why? Well because like I said before, the teachers are awesome (not only in teaching!!) the principals are always fun, and the people there are overall so amazing. Some of these friends will probably be part of my life for a long time. So overall, yes. I would really like to go to a high school like this one. I know it will be different, but elementary school was so fun and made memories that will stay in my mind forever, and I want the same sort of feeling for high school.

How would you grade your school?
How would I grade my school?? My school is the one that grades me!!
Well, we still need an answer to this question.
DRUM ROLL PLEASE
*audience smacks their legs*
10/10!!!!!
Yes, I rate my school 10 stars. 10 being the best. Because I love school. And I’ve been going to this school since Kindergarten JK! School made me love school. Well, no. The people in the school made me love school. ๐Ÿ˜†

What would you miss if you left your school?
Oh my, I think you know that answer.
Everything. I would miss everything.
The laughs the smiles the events the fun the people.
I would miss the people the most.

Would you want to be home – schooled?
Probably not. I mean, my parents can be teachers, and they teach fine, but I would probably want to go to school only because you get to meet different people. If you’re home – schooled, you never really get to meet those people. Sometimes it’s hard to have friends.

Should all children be able to go to preschool?
I think so. I mean, they should be able to. But that doesn’t mean they have to. I never went to preschool, or my sisters. My friend Amelia did. A lot of my other friends went to preschool. It’s like, a place you go before kindergarten. It’s not really necessary because you’re only supposed to learn that sort of stuff in kindergarten.

What is the purpose of preschool?
I think it’s to teach kids how to be around different people, but I also think it’s like a place to drop off the kids if the parent goes to work or something, just because they’re busy.

Should kindergarten be more about play or literacy?
Probably a bit of both. But I think it should be more on the play side, just because literacy is more something you do in Grade 1.

And that’s my School Q&A! I really like answering these Q&A’s so I’ll maybe do more of them!! Have a great day!

Julia ๐Ÿฅฐ