Chapter 9

“Kateri!” I hear Maria say. “Wake up sleepyhead.”

I sit up and rub my eyes, remembering that I’m at a sleepover. My brain fogs up, but then I see that I’m in Lily’s room, remembering from yesterday.

The first thing I see is Lily and Maria jumping on the bed, and Amber was still lying in her sleeping bag.

“Yipee!” Lily jumps off, into the heap of couch pillows on the ground.

“Pancakes for breakfast!” Maria jumps onto the couch pillows too. They throw them at each other. 

“What time did you all wake up exactly,” I yawn, checking my phone. It was 8:30 AM. 

“Like, 10 minutes ago,” Lily says. Then we head Amber snoring.

“Well, most of us.”

Lily runs out of her room. “Mooooom. Where’s the airhorn?” 

After 4 pancakes for breakfast, I realize that this was possibly the best thing that’s ever happened to me. This is where I belong; school is where I’m meant to be. These were my best friends. I didn’t need Abigail anymore. Or the cherry blossom trees or even the strawberry patch. This is what I needed. 

Around 11:25 AM, Aunt Cynthia comes first to pick me up. I’m sad to leave, but happy to sleep in my own bed again. And I know I’ll be able to see Lily tomorrow. We hear a knock. 

“Awww,” we all say, knowing what we’d be separated from each other. 

“Kateri, I think that would be your aunt,” Lily’s mom runs to the door. 

I stand up and start to pick up my belongings, and hugging everyone as I go. Even if we’ll see each other tomorrow, this felt like a big moment. 

Lily holds my hand for longer. “Thanks for coming along, Kat.” I hug her again and then my my way to Aunt Cynthia. She was in a springy yellow jumpsuit today, with a high bun. It was freezing outside but she was just wearing that jumpsuit with a jean jacket. 

“How’s your job going?” Lily’s mom asks and leans against the doorway. 

We were gonna be here a while.

Aunt Cynthia sighs, “pretty good, getting used to online tutoring is a little hard. I mean it’s not the same, y’know.”

Lily’s mom nods, “why online tutoring? If you don’t mind me asking. My husband is trying to find a job similar to teaching.”

“Oh no no. It just works better for me. Now that Kateri’s in school and all.”

Lily, Maria and Amber were all standing beside Lily’s mom, listening in. 

“Speaking of that,” Aunt Cynthia continues, “Kateri loves the new school, and she was very excited for this sleepover.”

Lily’s mom smiles in a heartwarming way. “She’s welcome here anytime.”

“That’s very kind,” Aunt Cynthia said, “after her being homeschooled that’s sweet for you to say that.”

The moment felt like it just went underwater. Unable to breathe. Trapped, locked, hidden inside. I felt the colour rise in my cheeks, the blurry vision. No. Count to three. 1.. 2.. 3.

Did my aunt just embarrass me that I’ve been homeschooled all my life?

“Homeschooled?” Lily’s mom looked puzzled. “I didn’t know she was homeschooled.”

I couldn’t look up. Never ever. I could practically sense at this point Lily’s eyes burning into my head.

“We didn’t either,” Lily says in an angry voice. 

I couldn’t resist now. I look up, and see Lily’s arms folded across her chest. Amber and Maria had mad and confused expressions on too. 

“I-” I couldn’t speak. I felt red hot, like fainting. My throat felt like it was plugged up. The tears started to rise and my nose started to become itchy. No. Don’t cry, don’t cry, don’t cry.

“Oh, well um,” Aunt Cynthia tries to break up the tense moment. “Yes, well,” Aunt Cynthia checks her watch, faking an excuse to leave. I know my aunt. 

“Well, we should be on our way. Bye!”

Lily’s mom says a fake nice, “bye,” in return. But I didn’t deserve it. 

I look back at my friends faces, coated with pure disgust and anger. But most of all: sadness. I wasn’t truthful to them. And you can’t be friends if you’re not honest.

I lied.

We were silent all the way home. Usually Aunt Cynthia was the chatty one, but she sensed my anger this time. I hope she knew that she made me mad. 

Like how could she just spill out half of my miserable life like that?! Doesn’t she know I was starting over?

“Kateri,” she finally breaths. 

“No,” I puff. I didn’t even realize how close I was to crying. 

“I thought you told them.. About being-”

“Don’t say the word!” I slam the car door while coming out. “My only friends hate me because of you!” I run inside the second Aunt Cynthia unlocks the front door. I didn’t want to spend another second with my so-called Aunt. I ran upstairs as fast I could, I even forgot to take off my muddy shoes. 

But I didn’t care. I was going to stay here forever. 

3 thoughts on “Passion – Chapter 9”

1. Hey sunnies!
    So I uploaded some Passion because I realized that I haven’t uploaded a chapter in a while.
    Anyways thanks for staying tuned on my blog! Photo Log #1 and more posts are coming really soon 😉
    Hope everyone is having an awesome day!
    – Julia

2. oOoOoOh this was a j u i c y chapter! I can’t wait to read what happens next! I love this story!!