On a Monday morning, Lily asked me if I wanted to be one of the judges for the talent show auditions. Turns out only the best of the best actually make it to the show, so we have to be pretty strict. 

“Ummm,” I think, “it’s okay. I have a lot of schoolwork to catch up on anyway.”

“Oh,” Lily seemed a little disappointed, “that’s okay,” we started walking to our next class, “by the way, have you started playing your mom’s guitar yet?”

I had to think really quickly. Did I want to tell people that I started playing?

But, the lying experience taught me a lesson. Plus I promised to never keep things from my friend’s again. So, I decided that maybe it was for the better to tell Lily that I had started playing. 

“Yeah actually,” I say, “I did.”

“Really?” Lily replied. “That’s great!”

“It is,” I realize, “I learned two chords.”

“I think you should keep playing,” Lily bumps shoulders with me, “I bet you’re really good.”

“Thanks. When I learn more I’ll make sure to show you.”

Lily turns to face me, “kay.”

I’m in Geography when Lily gets pulled out of class to judge the auditions for the talent show. She seemed quite annoyed when she had to leave, I remember her telling me that she wished the judging part was out of school hours so she didn’t have to miss class. 

I plop my backpack on the floor of my bedroom after school, exhausted. Today was an especially tiring day, and I didn’t know why. My eyelids started to slowly fall. It reminded me of the cherry blossoms me and Abigail would stare at for hours, or what at least felt like hours. Happy place. 

Blossoms. 

I wake up to a pounding headache and a cold, wet cloth on my forehead. I sit up a little too fast, and the world around me spins. 

“Lay back down,” Aunt Cynthia’s voice is soothing but commanding at the same time. 

So I do, and I hear a voice, my voice, “blossoms,” I murmur, “pink.”

My eyes fall shut again. I hear Aunt Cynthia talking to someone. 

“High fever, she seems really sleepy.”

“Oh, Kateri,” I hear dad’s voice and then feel him sitting on the other side of my bed. 

And then I doze off. 

When I woke up again, the sun was trying to escape my closed blinds. There was a tray of breakfast food on my nightstand, crackers and some soup. I rub my eyes and check the time. 12:34 came the bright glare from my screen. How long had I slept for?

I noticed a minor headache that tugged at me. Great. I was sick. I probably slept for a week and missed all of my assignments. I’m such a great student. 

I lean back on my pillow and let out a sigh. I nibble on some dry crackers, thinking about what I should do. I focused my gaze on mom’s guitar. It was staring at me. It was propped up against the wall, across from my bed. 

Then the doorknob turned and there was Aunt Cynthia, her hair in a tight bun. She was still in her PJs. 

Her approach was quiet, but then she smiled, seeing that I was awake. 

“Hello, hun,” her voice was like a mug of hot chocolate. 

“Hi,” I barely managed to say. 

“How are you feeling?” She put her hand on my forehead. Her hands were cold. 

“Fine, I think,” I sniff, “what happened?”

Aunt Cynthia nodded, seeing that I didn’t remember anything, “you got a high fever, I think you were really stressed out,” Aunt Cynthia frowned, “why didn’t you tell me you were feeling that way? I could’ve helped.”

“I-,” I sigh. I guess I have been pretty caught up in school. Was I super stressed out? I feel better now, but still. 

“I don’t know,” I finally say. “Sorry.”

Aunt Cynthia wrapped me in a hug. It said all that it needed it to. 

“So… Can I go to school?” I eagerly ask.

“Very funny,” Aunt Cynthia said, “let’s wait one more day, then see how you’re feeling tomorrow.”

I heave a heavy sigh. “Also,” I say, remembering something, “how long have I slept for?”

“Well, you got sick two days ago, slept all of yesterday, all of last night, here we are.”

“Wow,” I say, impressed. 

“I’m just glad you got your rest. I’ll let you eat and stay in here, and I’ll check on you later.” Aunt Cynthia stood up and planted a kiss on my forehead. I liked that she wanted to give me privacy. 

I checked my phone again. There were four unread messages. Three from the group chat, and one from Alex. My stomach burst with butterflies on the last one. 

I opened the group chat one first. 

Lily: We heard you were sick! Hope you feel better<3

Amber: Missing ya! mwah 

Maria: why is school so boring without youu hope you feel better soon! 

My cheeks hurt from smiling. I’m glad they cared for me and had my back. 

Then I clicked on Alex’s contact. 

Alex: heard you were sick! Hope you feel better soon:) 

He sent a smiley face. Huh!  I thought to myself. 

I turned off my phone and kept smiling. No one was here to tell me I looked like a doofus. I start munching on some more crackers. 

One more day shouldn’t be too bad.